Breakthrough Cancer Research is a proactive and driven cancer research charity and funder of patient focused research. We inspire and enable financial support for exceptional research into cancer, leading to more effective treatments for patients in Ireland and Internationally. We focus on: funding world-class cancer research into poor prognosis cancers, which are poorly served by current treatment options, facilitating collaboration between scientists and clinicians across Ireland and internationally and translating lab discoveries into new effective treatments for cancer patients. As patient focused organisation we passionately believe in keeping the public up to date with research developments and the future breakthroughs which will impact cancer care. The stakes in our mission are so great and we cannot become emotionally removed from those patients and families who are counting on us. We seek a passionate, driven and empathetic Research Officer to join our growing team. If you have a passion for making a difference, if you love science but would prefer to enable research more than work at the lab bench, then this could be the position for you.
Overall Job Description
Salary: Competitive (depending on experience)
Hours: Full Time (Part Time may be considered)
Period: Fixed term for 1 year with possibility of extension
Starting date: Late June 2022 or earlier
Holidays: 24 days
Reporting to: Research Manager
Main Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Liaise with host academic institutions, grant holders – including scientists and clinicians, and other healthcare professionals and other funding bodies
- Carry out the day to day administration of a wide range of current and future Breakthrough-funded research grants.
- Assisting with the grant peer review process.
- Assist with organisation of research meetings and producing accurate and timely minutes.
- Assist with the coordination, logistics and development of workshops, symposia and any Breakthrough hosted conferences.
- Assist with the organisation of Breakthrough International Scientific Advisory Committee meetings.
- Support the CEO and Research Manager in the implementation of Breakthrough’s Research Strategy.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of new developments in cancer research and national cancer strategy.
- Undertake other work related to research administration and to perform tasks necessary to achieve the overall objectives of the Research function and organisation.
- Responsible for responding to research enquiries from patients/public.
- Work alongside fundraisers to develop educational materials relating to research.
- Support Communications team for website/materials content.
- Produce accessible summaries of Breakthrough’s research and convey the value of research to a lay audience.
- Assist in analysing and reporting the outputs, outcomes and impact of research funded by Breakthrough Cancer Research.
Public and Patient Involvement
- Outreach activities including representation of Breakthrough Cancer Research at community groups, schools, information events etc.
- Development of public and patient involvement in research within Breakthrough Cancer Research.
- Contribute to advocacy relating to research.
- A scientific or healthcare background (Masters/PhD level)
- Self-motivated with a high level of organisational ability, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with patient, clinical and scientific community.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team in a high-paced and high-delivery environment.
- Self-motivated with a high level of organisational ability, accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve and work under pressure to a high standard.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to explain and tailor complex information with clarity and confidence to non-scientific audiences.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- Knowledge of university structures and clinical research environment desirable.
- Strong empathy with a commitment to the Breakthrough Cancer Research vision/mission.
Apply with CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 18th.